Ancient Icon was Revived in Druya
The icon of Merciful Mother of God, the history of the original of which is unknown, has been revived in Druya. The miracle-working icon of Druya, known since the XVIII century, which is mentioned in the inventory of the local church, is a copy of another icon of Kikos, Cyprus. It is one of the three icon reportedly made by Luke the evangelist.
The initiative of the revival belongs to f. Syarhey Stasevich, who is the pastor of Belarusian diaspora in London. The icon was recreated by Vitsiebsk painter Mikhail Kuskou. The icon will be consecrated at Holy Trinity church in Druya.
According to f. Syarhey Surynovich, the dean of Holy Trinity church, the returning of the icon to Druya will promote the unity of Christians and the spreading of Mother of God cult. “By joining our ways with Mary we always come to the way of Christ. It can happen absolutely unexpected. Saint Joseph never thought that by struggling with himself and choosing Mary he becomes THE FIRST PERSON who joins the Saviour. We come to Christ by following him”.
Copies of this icon are very popular on Athos but are quite rare in our region. The well-know copies are in Floren ericetum and one made by Simeon Ushakov and which is stored at Tretyakovskaya gallery.
- To Olga, working as a programmer is a true hobby 08.12.2018 00:42
- Polina dreams to work as a teacher 23.09.2018 09:33
- Evgenia lives on a farm and treats horses 22.09.2018 16:22
- ECPYouth president: we try to connect people in one European Christian voice 04.03.2018 21:11
- Minsk Church was closed during opposition march 23.02.2017 22:16