10-Storey House May Be Built On Site Of Jewish Cemetary In Mazyr
An old Jewish cemetary on Pushikna str. in Maztyr is under the threat of demolition. This was stated by the head of the World Association of Belarusian Jews Yakau Hutman. According to him, in 2003 another Jewsih cemetray in Mazyr had been destroyed during the construction of gas pipeworks and a house was planned to bu built on that place.
But a city plan of 1847 found by Hutman in the city archives helped to stop the construction. Today another construction is being planned on the site of the cemetary, not of a cottage but of a 10-storey house, Jewsih News Agency reports.
At the same time, the official responce of the Mazyr district executive committee states that construction is legal because nowadays the cemetary on Pushkina street is not registered as a muncicpal object and is not mapped on the city’s plan.
The head of WABJ is sure that the joint effort of Belarusian Jewish organizations supported by Israel and international solidarity will stop the destruction of Jewish burial sites in Belarus.
- To Olga, working as a programmer is a true hobby 08.12.2018 00:42
- Polina dreams to work as a teacher 23.09.2018 09:33
- Evgenia lives on a farm and treats horses 22.09.2018 16:22
- ECPYouth president: we try to connect people in one European Christian voice 04.03.2018 21:11
- Minsk Church was closed during opposition march 23.02.2017 22:16